Last two weeks Saturday, my neighbor who happens to be my good friend came over to my house for some tea. During our conservation, she kept on complaining about the poor radio reception of nowadays saying that radio reception was the best in the early 1900s. This statement made me to remember some years ago when I and my siblings were dancing to the beat of “Cheap Thrills” played on KOST-FM 103.5 shockingly the song became cracked and then the radio started buzzing.
The above situation is something you are possibly used to if you frequently use radios. Unexplained and uncontrollable screeching noises and inability to stick to a frequency, all cases of bad radio reception.
In this article, we will explore the causes of poor radio reception and how to tackle it.
Causes of Poor Radio Reception At Home
First thing first. You need to identify the causes of the problem to enable you to solve it and the causes include:
Our homes are like a store that consists of items and objects of different shapes. That your Armani perfume facing your radio might be the barrier blocking signals from reaching your radio.
Any home in the city or in a place that consists of hills, mountains, tall trees, high buildings are likely to have poor radio reception. These structures obstruct radio waves emitted from the station transmitter.
3. Construction materials
Many of the construction materials used in building a house consist of glass, aluminum, metal, steel, etc. They block radio waves from reaching the antenna as well as solar panels.
If your home is too far or too close to a station transmitter, you will experience bad radio reception sometimes.
5. Electronic devices
Electrical appliances like a fan interfere with radio waves. Other electronics like phone, computers, PC or laptop share signals with your radio.
An antenna that can only receive signals from one location at a time would eventually disappoint. Dipole Antennae receives signals from multiple station transmitters.
7. Harsh weather
Heavy rainfalls accompanied by waves disturb radio receptions. So if you live in an area that experiences rainfall. You should buy an antenna you can mount outside or inside to help your radios antenna.
10 Steps on How to Boost FM Radio Reception at Home
1. Remove Any Object Surrounding your Radio
An object facing towards your radio intercepts with signals reaching your radio from station transmitters. Whether they are big or small, remove them.
2. Turnoff Any Electronic Device
Electronics that need signal receptions like your mobile phone can be sharing signals with your radio, causing your FM radio to produce low quality sounds.
3. Switch from Stereo to Mono
Mono is a good way of boosting your radio reception. To switch to FM mono mode, check the buttons of the radio. You will see mono in scripted on the designated button. Some radios can switch to mono automatically if the stereo signal is failing. After searching for an FM mono button and you didn’t find and your radio can’t switch to mono itself. Then your radio doesn’t have FM mono mode because not all radio has this feature.
4. Leave your current location
Sometimes in life we need to make a move to achieve greater heights. That is also what your radio needs. Signal reception varies in different spots. You might be inside your parlor, on a couch trying to get a good radio reception and it’s not working. If you do leave your comfy and move to the end or front of your parlor or move to the next room your radio reception might be much better.
An antenna is the signal reception part of any device. An antenna is what makes information transmitted from the station to reach your radio.
Hence, there are certain aspects you must know about your antenna that might be the cause of the problem
- Pets can chew the antenna wire in your house and birds might have tampered with your outdoor antenna. So do a thorough check on both your indoor and outdoor antenna. Change the cables if they are damaged.
- An outdoor antenna should be mounted at the top of your roof or attic to ensure easy reception of signals. Your indoor antenna should face your window, many including myself, have experienced the wonder power of the window.
- An old antenna won’t have certain features a new antenna would have due to everyday old equipment are modernized into a technologically advanced state.
- An outdoor antenna stands a better chance of receiving signals from the station transmitter than an indoor antenna. Purchase an outdoor antenna like Stellar Labs outdoor FM antenna Omnidirectional. You will see how much better your radio can be.
6) Get an antenna repair expert: An expert is always the last resort when you have tried your best and it doesn’t work. A professional will diagnose the problem and bring out good measures to solve it. If your antenna needs a booster or attenuator, the professional will buy the best and install it for you. Whatever fault your antenna has developed, an antenna repair expert will correct it.
How to Construct An Antenna at Home
In one of those days I was facing this challenge and didn’t want to spend a penny, I decided to research on how to create an antenna at home and I successfully did. Trust me it is so easy than you imagine.
This steps are what I used to create an antenna for receivers. All you need is a pair of scissors and an old cable wire. I used an old USB wire for mine.
Scrape off the outer cover of the wire. You will see those tiny aluminum and copper wires
Use your fingers to rub them together. This action will lock them together.
Go behind the receiver, you will see the part where the FM antenna is in scripted, meaning in the right sense the antenna wire should be plugged there. Use the prepared wire and plug it into that part.
Wallah! Enjoy your radio.
If you have an AM radio at home, all these techniques will work for you. Don’t have doubts because the differences between an AM and FM radio is very slight.
AM (Amplitude Modulation) usually has poor sounds but can pick signals from the farthest station transmitters. Its frequency range is 535 to 1705 KHz, while FM (Frequency Modulation) has a high bandwidth with good sound quality and a frequency of 88 to 108 MHz